Telephone Outage Reports

Local telephone companies must notify the UTC of major outages and service interruptions per the Service Quality Performance Reports rule, WAC 480-120-439(2). For more information about major outages see WAC 480-120-412.

To notify the UTC of outages, the company must:

  • Send a detailed report by e-mail to; or
  • Call the UTC's Consumer Protection Help Line at 1-888-333-WUTC(9882).

Consumers experiencing telephone outages should report the outage directly to the telephone company. If you believe an outage is unreasonable or are unable to contact the company, please contact the UTC's Consumer Protection Help Line at 1-888-333-9882 or email

Major Outage Reporting Rules

WAC 480-120-439(2) Major Outages report

WAC 480-120-412 Major Outages rule

WAC 480-120-021 Major Outages definition