The Motor Carrier Safety Program provides safety oversight of privately-owned companies that provide transportation services within Washington state. The purpose of the Motor Carrier Safety Program is to reduce accidents by performing vehicle inspections and safety investigations.
During safety investigations our program inspects company vehicles used to provide service to the public, investigate safety complaints, and help regulated companies understand and comply with state and federal safety requirements.
These transportation companies include (passenger) charter and excursion buses, non-profit buses, airport shuttles, rail contract crew transportation, (property) common carriers, residential household goods moving companies, and solid waste carriers.
I want to...
- Prepare for a safety evaluation / compliance review
- Review new passenger carrier checklist
- View UTC's Achieving a Satisfactory Motor Carrier Safety Record guide for regulations and forms
- View drug and alcohol safety information
- Answer Electronic Logging Devices (ELD) questions
- See Hours of Service (HOS) rules
- See UTC's Public Notice of Title VI Program
Companies We Regulate
Top 2020 UTC Regulated Motor Carrier Violations that effect Safety Ratings
(Top Acute, Critical and Critical-Type Violations)
|1.||49 CFR 395.8(a)(1)||Failing to require a driver to prepare a record of duty status using appropriate method.|
|2.||WAC 480-15-555||Criminal background check violations.|
|3.||49 CFR 391.45(a)||Using a driver not medically examined and certified.|
|4.||49 CFR 396.3(b)||Failing to keep minimum records of inspection and vehicle maintenance.|
|5.||49 CFR 391.51(a)||Failing to maintain driver qualification file on each driver employed.|