Snohomish Superior Court enforces UTC order against illegal mover  

Media Contact: (360) 664-1116 or   

Snohomish Superior Court enforces UTC order against illegal mover 

Fines Carl J. Washington $2,000 per day for continued illegal operation

LACEY, Wash. - At the request of state regulators, the Snohomish County Superior Court ordered the owner of a Lynnwood-based moving company to pay $2,000 per day for continued illegal operation of his household goods moving business. 

Washington, who performed business under the names Jay’s Moving Company, Jeffrey’s Moving Company, and Jack’s Moving Company, has a long history of operating without a required permit.

In May 2012, following a UTC staff investigation, the commission found that Washington operated a residential moving company without a permit, in violation of state law. At a UTC hearing, Washington admitted to the violations and agreed to cease operations unless he acquired a permit. Washington later paid a fine of $500 -- reduced from $5,000 on the condition that he complied with the agreement. 

In October 2012, UTC staff discovered Washington was still engaged in the moving business without the required permit and ordered him to pay the remaining $4,500 fine.

In March 2014, the superior court ordered Washington to pay a civil penalty of $60,000 for violations of a UTC cease and desist order. Under the order, Washington was permanently prohibited from engaging in business as an in-state residential mover without a permit issued by the UTC.

In 2021, UTC staff received customer complaints about Washington’s businesses. UTC staff subsequently investigated the allegations and found Washington was continuing to offer moving services to customers and advertising moving services online, in violation of the UTC and the 2014 superior court cease and desist orders.

The new fine reflects Washington’s continued violation of the order and went into effect on July 12.   

A state-issued permit for residential movers is required by law to protect consumers from unscrupulous business practices.

Prior to moving, consumers should: 

  • Call the commission at 1-888-333-WUTC (9882) to verify the mover’s permit status and complaint history
  • Compare costs by getting at least two written estimates
  • Check online reviews and complaints about the mover
  • Know the mover’s full name, address and phone number
  • Get a written, signed inventory list from the company of all belongings being transported
  • Check the status of a mover’s website on the UTC website.

The UTC regulates the rates and services of telecommunications companies, investor-owned electric utilities, natural gas and water companies, garbage-collection haulers, household-goods movers and passenger transportation companies, commercial ferries, pipeline companies, marine pilotage, and a low-level radioactive waste repository. The commission does not regulate the rates of broadband services, cellular, cable, or Internet service.