Starting Monday, Jan. 24 the Consumer Protection Help Line will be available from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. You can always file a complaint at any time online, by mail, or email.

Customer Notice

For the latest information, resources, and guidance related to COVID-19, please visit our COVID-19 information page or visit our COVID-19 Utility Bill Assistance page.

Electronic Filing

You may file certain documents electronically with the commission, including: rulemaking comments, annual reports, new tariffs, time schedules, contracts and pleadings in adjudicated cases, and transportation permit applications.

File online at

If you are filing a tariff, you must preregister by submitting an authorization letter (Authorization sample letter)

All electronically-filed documents must comply with the appropriate WAC's and RCW's.

Select link to appropriate industry or document type for more information on e-filing.

 ​How to name your file