In-State Move

The commission regulates residential moving companies that conduct moves within the state of Washington. A moving company operating within Washington must have a valid permit from the UTC. It's illegal to operate without one.

There are unlicensed moving companies taking advantage of customers, holding goods hostage for large sums of money, and illegally inflating estimates. Before you hire a mover, confirm that they are permitted. The UTC ensures that permitted companies charge fair and proper rates, carry insurance, and keep their vehicle safely maintained.

If you hire an illegal mover, the UTC is severely limited in how they can help if something goes wrong.

Out-of-State Move

The commission does not regulate interstate moves.

If you are moving across state lines, check the company's permit status with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA) or call 1-800-637-0637. You can also file a complaint with FMSCA.

Consumer Guide for Moving in Washington State

If you're moving in Washington, you should know your rights and what to look out for when hiring a moving company. The complete Consumer Guide for Moving in Washington State covers everything you need to know including costs, liability insurance, storage, and how to file a claim.


Companies We Regulate

Consumer News

Consumer Publications

Rules and Rates

Report an Illegal Moving Company