Starting July 16, 2022 callers in the U.S. will be able to reach the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline by dialing 988. Currently, callers can reach the hotline at 1-800-273-8255 (TALK).
You can read the FCC’s Order adopting 988.
10-Digit Dialing in 509
In order for 988 to work, The FCC is requiring Washington to implement 10-digit dialing for its Eastern Washington area code 509. The rest of Washington already uses 10-digit dialing.
- April 24, 2021: Anyone calling to or from 509 may start using the area code with dialing (area code + phone number).
- Oct. 24, 2021: Service Providers must implement mandatory 10-digit dialing in the 509 area code.
- July 16: Dialing 988 will connect you directly to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
No service changes
10-digit dialing will not change:
- Your telephone number or area code.
- The price of a call.
- Coverage areas.
- Rates and services.
- Whether a call is local or long-distance.
- Existing three-digit services such as 911, 711, and 211.
- The existing 1-800-273-8255 (TALK) number.
Safety and security equipment
Important safety and security equipment, such as medical alert devices, and alarm and security systems must be programmed to use 10-digit dialing. Many systems already use 10-digit dialing, but some older equipment may still use seven-digits. Please contact your medical alert or security provider if you are not sure whether your equipment needs to be reprogrammed to accommodate the upcoming change to 10-digit (or 1+10-digits) local dialing.
Service Providers and companies should complete reprogramming during the permissive dialing period of April 24-Oct. 24, 2021.
Please contact your medical alert or security provider if you are not sure whether your equipment needs to be reprogrammed.
- life safety systems or medical monitoring devices
- fax machines
- Internet dial-up numbers
- fire or burglar alarm and security systems or gates
- speed dialers
- mobile or other wireless phone contact lists
- call forward settings
- voicemail services and other similar functions
Service Providers and Companies with 509 phone numbers
Any service provider and company with a 509 telephone number should update all of their materials to include the three-digit area code, such as its:
- company website;
- stationary and letterhead;
- advertising materials;
- contact information;
- ID tags and cards; and
- business cards.
- Printable Dial 509 card
- Marque 509 tarjeta_SP
- Dial 509 copy-and-paste email
- Marque 509 Copiar y pegar el correo electrónico_SP
- 10-digit dialing factsheet
- Spanish 10-digit dialing factsheet
Social Media Graphics
- 509 area code_ENG
- 509 area code_SP
- Dial 509 for Families_ENG
- Dial 509 for Families_SP
- Dial 509 for Businesses_ENG
- Dial 509 for Businesses_SP
*If you would like printed materials mailed to you please contact email@example.com