N11 is a three-digit shortcut to reach special community services. The numbers are set aside by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and operated by the provider of the service.
- 211 - Public, health, and community services. https://wa211.org/
- 311 - Non-emergency police, fire and municipal business. Local and municipal governments will administer 311 calls.
- 511 - Road and traffic conditions. The Department of Transportation or designated local departments of transportation will administer 511 calls in most cases. www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/511/
- 711 - Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS) for the speech and hearing impaired.
- 811 - Call before you dig number arranges for utilities to be located and marked. www.callbeforeyoudig.org
- 911 - Emergency response.
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in CC Docket 92-105, specified how 211, 311, 511, 711 and 811 codes would be used for various types of public information.