Emergency Notification System

Let "Blue" Save You!​

To improve highway-rail crossing safety, the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) requires each railroad to have Emergency Notification System (ENS) signs at each crossing which allow emergency response center staff to identify crossing locations and railroad contacts for reporting safety problems and emergency situations. 

The blue ENS sign is posted near the crossing and clearly visible. It includes the railroad's emergency contact number and the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) National Crossing Inventory Number. The National Crossing Inventory Number is a unique number assigned to each grade crossing and identifies the exact location of the crossing to the railroads.

In an emergency:

  • Locate the blue and white ENS sign at the grade crossing.
  • Call for help! Call the Railroad's emergency contact number (800 number) listed on the blue sign posted at the crossing or dial 911.
  • Communicate your location, by providing the identification number (see below) and state the nature of the emergency to the dispatcher.
Picture of ENS sign with labels indicating the railroad contact number and USDOT National Crossing Inventory Number.
ENS Picture with Labels png

For more information on how to locate the ENS sign, watch this helpful video: Find the Blue and White ENS Sign PSA

Using the information on the ENS sign is the quickest way to notify the railroad of an emergency or problem at the crossing.

Rail Crossing Blockages

Based on court rulings, federal law preempts the UTC from enforcing rules related to public crossings that are blocked by trains. For issues regarding highway-rail crossing blockages, please contact the railroad and report the blockage to the FRA. Telephone numbers can be found on the ENS sign at the crossing. For more information, visit UTC’s Blocked Crossings webpage.