Types of Complaints

More Information

UTC Consumer Protection staff investigate complaints from customers of regulated companies. Below are descriptions of the types of complaints we investigate.

Billing Issues

  • Construction - Used to question charges related to construction in order to provide service.
  • Disputed Bill - Used when you are disputing the amount of the bill.

Deposit Issues

  • Deposit - Used when you have been asked for a deposit but should not be required to pay a deposit, or when you are disputing the amount of deposit, or the deposit has not been refunded.

Disconnection Issues

  • Disconnect - Used when your service has been disconnected, or is threatened with disconnection.

Service Issues

  • Customer Service - Used when you are primarily complaining about company service.
  • Delayed Service - Used when you have requested service and the company has delayed installation.
  • Quality of Service - Used when you are complaining about the quality of service and it is related to company’s physical plant, facilities, or product.
  • Examples:
    • Telephone - static related to cable facilities or central office equipment; >
    • Electric - voltage fluctuations related to transformers;
    • Water - poor water quality and/or water pressure issues.
    • NOTE: Water quality and water pressure complaints are generally referred to the Department of Health for resolution. UTC staff will document a complaint only during an ongoing general rate case for a specific water company.
  • Network Congestion - Used when you cannot complete telephone outgoing calls (may receive fast busy tone).
  • Payphone - Used for complaints about payphone service (either the payphone itself or the service received at the phone).
  • Prepaid - Used when a prepaid calling card did not work properly, or as advertised.
  • Refusal of Service - Used when a company has refused to provide service (i.e., dial tone, electric, gas, or water)
  • Slamming - Used when your preferred telephone carrier was changed without authorization.