Intrastate Motor Carrier Insurance Requirements

All companies who apply for a UTC permit, certificate, or registration must file and maintain evidence of public liability and property damage insurance.

Proof of Insurance

Form E 

The standard proof of insurance form is commonly called a "Form E", and is issued by the insurance company. The formal name is the "Uniform Motor Carrier Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability Certificate of Insurance."

Certificate of Insurance (COI) or Binder

This certificate/binder is only good for 60 days. This certificate/binder must be replaced by the Form E, before those 60 days expire or we cancel the permit. 

The certificates/binders must show the UTC as the certificate holder, the amounts of insurance coverage, the dates that the certificate/binder when insurance is in effect and an authorized signature.

Insurance Amounts

Gross Vehicle Weight Type
Minimum Limits
General Commodity/Household Goods Carriers
10,000 pounds or more non-hazardous $750,000 Combined Single Limit (CSL)
hazardous substances $5 million CSL for bulk hazardous substances, explosives, poison gas, compressed gas & radioactive materials.
$1 million for other hazardous waste and materials.
​Cargo filing for Household Goods Carriers

​$10,000 if vehicle is under 10,000 GVWR

$20,000 if vehicle is over 10,001 GVWR

Under 10,000 pounds non-hazardous $300,000 CSL
hazardous substances $5 million
Solid Waste Collection Companies
Under 10,000 $300,000 CSL
10,000 pounds or more   $750,000 CSL
Transport quantities of biomedical waste not subject to federal regulation   $1 million CSL