USDOT Number Requirement

Common Carriers

All Common Carriers with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 16,001 pounds or more must obtain a U.S. Department of Transportation number (USDOT) even if they only operate intrastate (within Washington state.)

Other Carriers Regulated by the Commission

2009 House Bill 1843 requires all entities with commission authority under the following chapters of the RCW to obtain a USDOT number by January 1, 2010:

  1. 81.66 - Transportation of people with special needs;
  2. 81.68 - Auto transportation;
  3. 81.70 - Passenger charter and excursion;
  4. 81.77 - Solid waste collection companies; and
  5. 81.80 - Household goods carriers defined under this chapter. 

If you already operate in interstate commerce and have a DOT number, you do not need to do anything.

You may apply for a USDOT number at the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) website.

Even if the FMCSA website indicates that you do not need a USDOT number, Washington law requires a USDOT number for intrastate operations.

If you have any other questions about USDOT numbers or how to apply for one please call the Washington State Patrol at (360) 596-3812.