Media Contact: (360) 664-1116 or email@example.com
Docket Numbers: TV-121284, TV-121298, TV-121452
State takes action against three illegal moving companies
Olympia, Wash. – State regulators took action today against three residential moving companies that have been operating without permits in Washington.
An administrative law judge at the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission (UTC) has ordered the three moving companies operating without permits to cease and desist from providing in-state residential moving services until they obtain the required permit and insurance.
The three companies are:
• Perfection Moving of Kennewick, WA, owned by Robert Garcia.
• Red Van Moving of Ocean Shores, WA, owned by Mark Sherman.
• Mychal’s Mover’s of Battleground, WA, owned by Mychal Redthunder.
All three moving companies advertised residential moving services without possessing a valid permit as required by state law.
Perfection Moving failed to appear at the hearing. Owner Robert Garcia was penalized $5,000 and is ordered to cease and desist from providing moving services.
Red Van Moving owner Mark Sherman appeared before the commission and admitted to operating his moving business without a state permit. He was fined $5,000 and agreed to only provide labor assistance for residential moves. Mr. Sherman’s penalty was suspended and will be dismissed after two years provided he complies with applicable state laws and rules.
Mychal’s Mover’s owner Mychal Redthunder also appeared before the UTC. He was fined $5,000, of which $4,500 was suspended and will be dismissed after two years provided he complies with applicable state laws and rules. Mr. Redthunder agreed to cease and desist business operations as a residential mover in Washington.
The UTC urges Washington citizens to do their homework before hiring a mover:
• Verify the mover’s permit and complaint history with the UTC.
• Compare costs; get at least two written estimates.
• Check with online reviews and complaints lodged against the mover.
• Know the mover’s full name, address and phone number.
• Get a written, signed inventory list from the company of all belongings being loaded.
The UTC is the state agency in charge of enforcing consumer protection and safety regulations for more than 200 residential moving companies operating within the state. Movers are required to get a permit from the UTC, charge appropriate rates, carry proper insurance and keep their vehicles safely maintained. The commission does not regulate interstate moving companies.